||[Jul. 27th, 2006|10:25 am]
Four Letter Words
|||||Talk Dirty To Me- Poison||]|
The very first word of the fortnight for Four Letter Words is know.
1. To perceive directly; grasp in the mind with clarity or certainty.
2. To regard as true beyond doubt: I know she won't fail.
3. To have a practical understanding of, as through experience; be skilled in: knows how to cook.
4. To have fixed in the mind: knows her Latin verbs.
5. To have experience of: “a black stubble that had known no razor” (William Faulkner).
a)To perceive as familiar; recognize: I know that face.
b)To be acquainted with: He doesn't know his neighbors.
7. To be able to distinguish; recognize as distinct: knows right from wrong.
8. To discern the character or nature of: knew him for a liar.
9. Archaic. To have sexual intercourse with.
Definitions from dictionary.com.
I thiought this would be a fitting word for our first week, because knowledge is part of what this community is about.
Some relevant songs:
- This Photograph Is Proof (I Know You Know)- Taking Back Sunday
- Know It's True- Evermore
- I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself- The White Stripes
- Know- System of a Down
- Somewhere Only We Know- Keane
So, what about you?
What does "know" mean to you?
Is life a quest for knowledge? Do you wish you knew more...or less?
What are some songs, stories, movies, pictures or other things that reflect this theme in your opinion?
In other words, what do you know?